Anne Lacaton and Jean Philippe Vassal
Born 2 August 1955 in Saint Pardoux la Rivière (Dordogne). Graduated from the Ecole d’architecture de Bordeaux in Gironde in 1980. Guest professor at Harvard Graduate School of Design (Paris studio 2011); the Ecole polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, 2010-11, 2006 and 2003-04; the Oslo architecture school, winter 2009; and at the ETSA, Madrid (Master’s level) since 2007.
Jean Philippe Vassal
Born 22 February 1954 in Casablanca, Morocco. Graduated from the Ecole d’architecture de Bordeaux in Gironde in 1980. Architect-urban planner in West Africa (Niger) from 1980 to 1985. Guest professor at the Ecole polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, 2010-11. Professor at the TU Berlin (Technische Universität) since 2007; guest professor at the Ecole d’architecture de Versailles 2002-06, the Ecole d’architecture de Bordeaux 1992-99; and at the Peter Behrens School of Architecture in Düsseldorf during the summer session of 2005.
In 1988, they founded the agency Lacaton & Vassal, today located in Paris, and began working on housing and urban planning projects in France and abroad, including the Latapie house in Floirac in 1993, a house at Cap Ferret in 1998, the refurbishing of the Palais de Tokyo in 2001, social housing in the Cité Manifeste in Mulhouse in 2005 and the Ecole d’architecture de Nantes in 2009. They have received numerous awards for their work, including the Grand prix National d’architecture in 2008, the principal distinction in France for architecture, the Grand prix Jeune Talent in 1999 and the Grand Prix Jeune architecture in 1991.
In 2011, the received the Equerre d’argent for the project of transforming the Bois-le-prêtre tower in collaboration with the architect Frédéric Druot. They have also won international awards: the Daylight & Building Components award from the Velux Foundation, Copenhagen in 2011, the Erich Schelling award from the Schelling Architecture Foundation, Karlsruhe, in 2006, and the Innovation Habitat & Sustainable Development Durable award from the city of Madrid in 2006. In 2009, they were named International Fellows (Membership) of the Royal Institute of British Architects. They have both been finalists for the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture Mies van der Rohe Award, in 2007 and 2003.